Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Super Bowl Commercial

Hello Seinfeld lovers,

Who saw the Seinfeld commercial during the Super Bowl this past weekend?!

I didn't. I know—major ball droppage on my part. I heard about it right away though, through a number of texts and tweets asking if I'd seen it. I was embarrassed to say no.

The thing is, I had too much homework over the weekend to watch the entire game. I only tuned in to watch the important parts, like Bruno's magical feet, and the Chili Peps, shirtless since '83.

Luckily, there's this thing called YouTube, which allowed me to watch the commercial anyway. Assuming I watched the right one, it's a commercial for Jerry Seinfeld's show Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee. I've actually been planning on writing a post about the show for a while, so this worked quite nicely.

The commercial stars Jerry Seinfeld and Jason Alexander; Wayne Knight (Newman) even makes an appearance. It was nice to see them together again, but I wasn't too impressed with it. They went for that Seinfeld humour they used to do so well—random ramblings about insignificant things made funny through quirky characters. In this commercial, however, they lost their ability to do this flawlessly. It sounded forced and unnatural. I suppose I should give them a break though, they've been out of practice for 16 years. Also, thinking back, the forced lines in this commercial sounded similar to the way the characters spoke and interacted with each other when the series first began. I guess, like anything, it took them a little while to find their niche.

Jerry Seinfeld recently confirmed there will be a Seinfeld reunion, and rumours are now floating around that this episode of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee is the reunion. I hope that's not the case.

Best case scenario: There's still a reunion coming, and this episode provided Jerry and George with the practice they needed to be hilarious again.

Here's a link to the commercial on YouTube. Hopefully it's the right one. If not, this will be very embarrassing.

Share your thoughts on the commercial in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment