Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I just want to unwind!

Hello Seinfeld lovers, 

The other day I was thinking about "The Puerto Rican Day" episode (season nine). 


The gang finds themselves stuck in a traffic jam due to the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Hours go by before the parade clears and they're able to get home. The whole time poor Elaine just wants to get home to unwind. 

"All I know is that it's Sunday night, and I have got to unwind!" 
Elaine makes many more remarks like this throughout the episode. 
Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I'm realizing how important the Sunday night "unwind" is to me. Like Elaine, I too NEED to unwind on Sunday night before the week begins again. I've found that when I have something going on during a Sunday night, like piles of homework or another obligation, I get worked up about not having my time to unwind. This time is very important to me. 
I used to work at a restaurant, and every week I got scheduled to work the Sunday night closing shift. This was the worst thing ever. I would've rather closed the Saturday night, and given up my chance to go out, in exchange for my Sunday night unwinding time. 
What do I do to unwind? Nothing. But I need this time to do nothing in order to feel prepared for the week. I know—I'm weird, but I completely feel Elaine's pain throughout this episode. 
It's sort of ridiculous when you think about it. 
"No, I can't go out for dinner tonight, because I need to unwind." 
"I MUST finish my homework before Sunday night, because that time is dedicated to unwinding."
If Jerry Seinfeld felt the need to make fun of the Sunday night "unwind" in this episode, then Elaine and I must not be the only ones who feel this way. This makes me feel like less of an old lady.
Do you feel the same way? Have you gone to serious lengths to ensure you have your Sunday night unwinding period? Feel free to share in the comment box below!
I'll leave you with a little YouTube clip from the episode. Poor Elaine, she's just so frazzled. I feel ya, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment