Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Seinfeld taught me that!

Hello Seinfeld lovers, 

"Seinfeld taught me that" — many of you have probably used these words before, right?

I've used them multiple times. I was pretty young when Seinfeld was airing new episodes, so maybe the things I learned were already common knowledge for many adults watching the show. However, that doesn't change the fact that Seinfeld taught me many things. When I'm having a conversation with friends and I contribute a random fact that maybe not everyone knew, it's surprising how often that fact came from Seinfeld. 

In "The Foundation" (episode 1, season 8) J. Peterman taught me that the country commonly known as Burma is now actually called Myanmar. In part two of "The Boyfriend" (episode 18, season 3) Jerry, Kramer, Newman and Keith Hernandez used the story of the "magic loogie" to teach me about Kennedy's assassination. In "The Contest" (episode 11, season 4) the whole gang taught me about something a young girl probably shouldn't know about until she's older. The list of things Seinfeld has taught me could go on for a while.

There's a reason I'm bringing this up. I was able to use my Seinfeld knowledge at school this week, and it made me feel like a smart cookie. One of my instructors was reading quotes from famous writers to the class, and we had to guess the writer. She read out a quote from Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and gave a hint that the writer was a famous Russian novelist. I immediately thought of "The Marine Biologist" (episode 14, season 5), and blurted out "Tolstoy!" Who would’ve thought Seinfeld could teach me about a 19th century Russian writer. 

I know it's not that impressive to know who Tolstoy is, but if I hadn't learned it through Seinfeld I don't know that I would've learned it somewhere else. 

Yes, the majority of what I've learned from Seinfeld is random facts, but it's better to know more than less. Thanks for the wisdom, Seinfeld!

Check out the YouTube video below for the "magic loogie" explanation of Kennedy's assassination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment